Pages

welcome to the deko and posh blog

Hey V.I.T.'s (very important tweens and teens) Deko and Posh here. Our blog is a view of all the news happening around the world that effects us. We find the Top Stories of the Day and we post them for you to read. We would like your input on all these issues we face today as tweens and teens. Nothing is off limits. If you want us to discuss something leave us a comment or send us an email at deko@dekoposh.com or posh@dekoposh.com.

Our Mission: To empower all V.I.T.s to make positive changes today for a better tomorrow by volunteering, giving back, becoming leaders and teaching others to do the same.

Our Blog is all about Tops Stories of the Day, Fashion, Design, Volunteering, Charities, and how all these topic's effect us. And in our store online and in person you will find all your must have's by color. Yes, that's right we have color coordinated our entire store because everyone has a favorite color. Be sure to explore the colors at dekoposh at www.dekoposh.com.


Nominate a Tween or Teen for the D.A.P.L Award

D.A.P.L.
Driven and Passionate Leaders

Nominate a Tween or Teen that is making a difference
D.A.P.L. (Deko and Posh) here...We are going to be highlighting tweens and teens every month on making a difference either through volunteering, awards, activities, and/or making a difference. Here are the rules, you can nominate yourself or someone can nominate a V.I.T., the tween or teen must be between the ages of 8-19, an essay and/or write-up about yourself or the person you are nominating must be emailed to us at info@dekoposh.com, we need the full name-age-gender-and location (address not necessary just city, state), please tell us all you can so we can make our choices. We look forward to hearing about what all our V.I.T.s (very important tween & teens) are doing to make a difference.

Monday, May 11, 2009

Melissa Walker writes a Guest Post for Deko and Posh

By Melissa Walker, melissacwalker.com, iheartdaily.com

Since my parents first started asking me to tell stories about my day at the
dinner table (which was when I was around 3), I’ve wanted to be a writer.
I spent high school and college writing for my yearbook and then the school
newspaper, and one summer I applied for an internship at a magazine in
New York. I can’t believe I got it, but I did. And once I’d seen that life—
among great writers, amazing photographers, fabulously dressed editors
—I knew I wanted in.

After college, and a year of waiting tables (which was totally fun), I
landed my first magazine job and I never looked back. Then, a few years
ago, while working as Features Editor at ELLEgirl magazine, I got the idea
for my first book: Violet on the Runway. It’s about a gawky, awkward
high school senior who gets discovered by a model scout and brought
into the crazy-intense New York City fashion world.

Now, my fourth book for teens, Lovestruck Summer, is about to be
released, and I’m still writing for magazines too. I love both!

If you’re interested in becoming a writer, here’s my two cents:

1. Blog! Keep you deepest, darkest secrets in a paper journal, but practice
your writing online and you’ll have a sample to show when you’re ready
to be published. You can write about anything—books you love, America’s
Next Top Model, what you did on a Saturday—just practice crafting your
own polished style.

2. Get in touch with your local paper. Lots of people want to hear teenage
voices, and if you show that you’re serious about writing, there are
definitely editors who will give you assignments. Maybe you’ll cover events
at your high school, or even write an opinions piece about something going
on in your town. Have an idea, and get in touch! It’s a great place to
start.

Bio: Melissa Walker (melissacwalker.com) is a former magazine editor
and the author of four young adult books and the co-founder of iheartdaily.com.
She is also a member of the amazing teen online book club, readergirlz.com.

Thank you, Melissa...we love your books and we love your style!!



No comments: