Pages

welcome to the deko and posh blog

Hey V.I.T.'s (very important tweens and teens) Deko and Posh here. Our blog is a view of all the news happening around the world that effects us. We find the Top Stories of the Day and we post them for you to read. We would like your input on all these issues we face today as tweens and teens. Nothing is off limits. If you want us to discuss something leave us a comment or send us an email at deko@dekoposh.com or posh@dekoposh.com.

Our Mission: To empower all V.I.T.s to make positive changes today for a better tomorrow by volunteering, giving back, becoming leaders and teaching others to do the same.

Our Blog is all about Tops Stories of the Day, Fashion, Design, Volunteering, Charities, and how all these topic's effect us. And in our store online and in person you will find all your must have's by color. Yes, that's right we have color coordinated our entire store because everyone has a favorite color. Be sure to explore the colors at dekoposh at www.dekoposh.com.


Nominate a Tween or Teen for the D.A.P.L Award

D.A.P.L.
Driven and Passionate Leaders

Nominate a Tween or Teen that is making a difference
D.A.P.L. (Deko and Posh) here...We are going to be highlighting tweens and teens every month on making a difference either through volunteering, awards, activities, and/or making a difference. Here are the rules, you can nominate yourself or someone can nominate a V.I.T., the tween or teen must be between the ages of 8-19, an essay and/or write-up about yourself or the person you are nominating must be emailed to us at info@dekoposh.com, we need the full name-age-gender-and location (address not necessary just city, state), please tell us all you can so we can make our choices. We look forward to hearing about what all our V.I.T.s (very important tween & teens) are doing to make a difference.

Monday, September 21, 2009

One Pimple is One Too Many - Reading

Hello <3


Today I want to talk about one of my favorite pastimes: Reading.

Now, before you run off because you get enough reading recommendations from school - I thought I'd point something out.

People always tell me that they're not readers. Reading isn't their thing. They've tried to love reading but aside from news stories, required reading from school or traffic signs, they just can't quite get lost in a book.
I say: You haven't the right book. Everyone loves to read, if they don't they just haven't found their book yet.
What do I mean by "their book"? That one book that changed the way you thought, the one that grabbed ahold of you from the very first page and didn't let go until you closed the cover, the one that made you laugh and cry until you couldn't do either anymore....
Let's find your book shall we?



My book was A Picture of Freedom- The Diary of Clotee: A Slave Girl from the Dear America series. I learned to read when I was three so I was always a "bookworm" but this is the first book that I remember reading over and over and over again. It's still on my bookshelf. I haven't read it in years but everytime I see it, I smile because for me, reading the Diary of Clotee inspired me to not only love reading - but to keep a consistent journal and write stories.

Since then I've found many books that I love.

Love Rules by Dandi Daley Mackall
Through Painted Deserts & Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller
Reconstructing Natalie, Daring Chloe and Dreaming in Technicolor by Laura Jensen Walker
the Christy Miller & Sierra Jensen Series

& my favorite author:
Melody Carlson
I gladly & completely recommend anything she has written. <3



There are so many books out there. Historical Fiction. Drama. Thriller/Suspense. Romantic comedy. Biographies. Inspirational.
I couldn't possibly name them all here.
I would say this:
Check out your local library.
Or even a popular bookstore.
Think about what you find interesting and I can guarantee, there will be a book about it.
If you need help, ask an employee. (Especially if you're at the library. The all love books there ;))


Happy reading!


Ariel

P.S. Weekly book recommendations are right here! Check out Amelia's Book Review Column! :)

No comments: