Pages

welcome to the deko and posh blog

Hey V.I.T.'s (very important tweens and teens) Deko and Posh here. Our blog is a view of all the news happening around the world that effects us. We find the Top Stories of the Day and we post them for you to read. We would like your input on all these issues we face today as tweens and teens. Nothing is off limits. If you want us to discuss something leave us a comment or send us an email at deko@dekoposh.com or posh@dekoposh.com.

Our Mission: To empower all V.I.T.s to make positive changes today for a better tomorrow by volunteering, giving back, becoming leaders and teaching others to do the same.

Our Blog is all about Tops Stories of the Day, Fashion, Design, Volunteering, Charities, and how all these topic's effect us. And in our store online and in person you will find all your must have's by color. Yes, that's right we have color coordinated our entire store because everyone has a favorite color. Be sure to explore the colors at dekoposh at www.dekoposh.com.


Nominate a Tween or Teen for the D.A.P.L Award

D.A.P.L.
Driven and Passionate Leaders

Nominate a Tween or Teen that is making a difference
D.A.P.L. (Deko and Posh) here...We are going to be highlighting tweens and teens every month on making a difference either through volunteering, awards, activities, and/or making a difference. Here are the rules, you can nominate yourself or someone can nominate a V.I.T., the tween or teen must be between the ages of 8-19, an essay and/or write-up about yourself or the person you are nominating must be emailed to us at info@dekoposh.com, we need the full name-age-gender-and location (address not necessary just city, state), please tell us all you can so we can make our choices. We look forward to hearing about what all our V.I.T.s (very important tween & teens) are doing to make a difference.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Amelia's Book Reviews: Coraline


Okay, I think it’s about time I do a creepy book. Coraline and her parents have just moved into their new house, a nice old place. Sure, the neighbors are a bit odd-Miss Spink and Miss Forcible, with their collection of highland terriers and relics of their stage days, and the old man upstairs who is apparently training a mouse circus-but it has a large garden, and plenty of rooms for her to explore.

Coraline steps through a door one day that should lead into the empty flat next door, but instead, she finds a strange woman who looks exactly like her mother-with a few exceptions. Her skin is papery-white, her nails long and red, and strangest of all; she has big, black buttons for eyes.

The woman tells Coraline that she is her ‘other mother’, and she has another father too. The strange place seems to be the opposite of the world she came from. Miss Spink and Miss Forcible’s dogs speak, as does the black cat in the garden. Dave McKean’s slightly disturbing illustrations bring this spooky novel to life, and author Neil Gaiman perfects the art of horror.

Gaiman is also the author of Stardust, Neverwhere, and children’s books The Wolves In The Walls, and The Day I Swapped My Dad For Two Goldfish.

If you’re interested in creepy, disturbing, and thought-provoking tales for teens, Coraline is the book for you. This is another soon-to-be movie; the animated film featuring the voices of Dakota Fanning and Teri Hatcher comes out February 2009. You can find the sneak preview and teaser trailer on Youtube.

7 comments:

Posh said...

Oh...eee...Creepy! Great October book!

G2G...Posh

José M. Virrueta said...

Sounds spooky but good. What do you think...do you think my son a 9-year old would like this book? He loves mystery, science, and scary books!

Jose

Leyla Drama Queen said...

I think the movie sounds great. I will look out for it. Thanks for the Book Review.

Green4Kids said...

Good choice for October. I will look out for the movie.

Dina

Amelia said...

Jose-- I've heard a lot of people say they read this book when they were 10 and it gave them nightmares, so I don't know. If he thinks he can take it, then go for it! I personally didn't get too scared the first time I read it, and I think it was given to me for my 9th birthday.

Nicole Linette said...

Ohh, one of my friends read this and did a review on how creepy it was. At the same time, I'd like to read it because it appears to be an intriguing creepy!

peace&love
nicole.

Deko said...

Great review Amelia, now I know I can handle this book, I am not scared of anything!

L8R...Deko