Pages

welcome to the deko and posh blog

Hey V.I.T.'s (very important tweens and teens) Deko and Posh here. Our blog is a view of all the news happening around the world that effects us. We find the Top Stories of the Day and we post them for you to read. We would like your input on all these issues we face today as tweens and teens. Nothing is off limits. If you want us to discuss something leave us a comment or send us an email at deko@dekoposh.com or posh@dekoposh.com.

Our Mission: To empower all V.I.T.s to make positive changes today for a better tomorrow by volunteering, giving back, becoming leaders and teaching others to do the same.

Our Blog is all about Tops Stories of the Day, Fashion, Design, Volunteering, Charities, and how all these topic's effect us. And in our store online and in person you will find all your must have's by color. Yes, that's right we have color coordinated our entire store because everyone has a favorite color. Be sure to explore the colors at dekoposh at www.dekoposh.com.


Nominate a Tween or Teen for the D.A.P.L Award

D.A.P.L.
Driven and Passionate Leaders

Nominate a Tween or Teen that is making a difference
D.A.P.L. (Deko and Posh) here...We are going to be highlighting tweens and teens every month on making a difference either through volunteering, awards, activities, and/or making a difference. Here are the rules, you can nominate yourself or someone can nominate a V.I.T., the tween or teen must be between the ages of 8-19, an essay and/or write-up about yourself or the person you are nominating must be emailed to us at info@dekoposh.com, we need the full name-age-gender-and location (address not necessary just city, state), please tell us all you can so we can make our choices. We look forward to hearing about what all our V.I.T.s (very important tween & teens) are doing to make a difference.

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Music World--Hindi/Bengali/Spanish

"Music is the universal language of mankind." ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Outre-Mer

Hey everyone! I apologize for not blogging at all the past two weeks....senior year has started a lot tougher than I thought but thankfully, I am slowly adjusting, adapting, and overcoming!! :) How's school going for all of you? Hopefully, you guys are all doing great!!

Anyway, for today's topic, I thought I would talk a little about music in different cultures!!

As I'm sure I've mentioned a million times before, music is something very close to my heart. It is my way of expressing myself--sometimes thru lyrics and other times, thru melody. English music isn't all I listen to though. My parents are both originally from Bangladesh (and my maternal grandmother grew up in India for some time) so I got a taste of Bengali and Hindi music as well. Some countries, like India for example, have started to incorporate English into their lyrics and I've found a lot of songs in Hindi movies especially that have "westernized" their music.

Bengali music, in my opinion, has very soft melodies. From what I have heard from my parents' cds and tapes, most of the music is love--relationships, family, etc. A lot of it also seems a bit on the mellow side. You will probably not find anything near rock or metal in bengali music. All of the singers tend to have softer voices and the melodies are often soothing...almost like lullabies. I have found a couple of tunes that are extremely catchy and easy to just get up and dance to. Unfortunately, I can't remember some of the names of the songs I really like, but you can definitely find a lot of the songs on YouTube (www.youtube.com) or by googling "bengali songs."

Hindi music, on the other hand, I find to be extremely lively and catchy...and of course, very easy to dance to. While surfing YouTube one day, I saw that a lot of users used Hindi songs to make videos about American celebrities (and the video turned out great too!!). It was really cool to not only watch the video, but it was awesome to see both of my cultures meshed into one video. Hindi music is probably one of my favorites. Even though most songs last about 5-6 minutes, the tunes and melodies are super catchy and it's really easy to get a piece of a song stuck in your head. My sister and I have performed to a lot of the songs too...and it isn't that hard to choreograph too either.

Some of my favorites:

-Lakdi Ki Kathi from a movie called Masoom (One of my all-time favorites....it's been a favorite since I was 4-5 yrs old) Watching this video brought back so many memories of listening to it!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uafP78m_v9U

-Ghanan Ghanan (I love this song!! And I know this is a bit off topic, but I strongly suggest you watch the movie--Lagaan. A lot of my non-Indian friends have watched it, with subtitles, and loved it) Here's the actual clip of the song from the movie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpTCnl36gZI

-Deewana Hai Dekho (Also a great song from a great movie! It's from Kabhi Khushie Kabhi Gham...really sad movie, but great songs and plotline :) This song actually has some English parts in it...and it was really interesting to hear it in there) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4RqHGxcpkM

Those three are just a couple of examples (I could go on and on :P) but if you are interested, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO LET ME KNOW!!! I would love to give you music or even movie suggestions if you're interested...so don't be shy. Hit me up on twitter (@Lalalabanya) or if you would like my e-mail, please leave me a comment down below.

Spanish music is also something I've listened to...well, not too much in depth, but I've heard a couple of songs on the radio here and there and last year in my AP Spanish 4 class. And although I can't really understand what they're saying, the songs are actually great!! :P I love listening to singers like Jennifer Lopez, Shakira, David Archuleta, etc, add in Spanish into their music. It's great to hear both languages in one song!!

Whoops, this blog is getting longer than I thought it would be...sorry about the length!! Enjoy the rest of your weekend and this upcoming week!!

Until next time,

Labanya

No comments: